Pages

July 16, 2013

Dealing with change

Struggling a bit today. Going to have to figure out a way to make some changes easier for two of my horses.

I'm having to separate my herd onto two different parcels for a few months and that will put them into different configurations than what they're used to.

I have two horses who are buddies, that were kept in separate paddocks but next to each other. Now, this one buddy team will be able to see each other, about 70 yards away, but not be side by side like they were. 

At first, I just separated them, and they seemed to be dealing with the change. However, today I let them spend a portion of the day near each other and the mare had a more difficult time when they were separated to go back to their night-time paddocks.

Once again, they cannot be in the same paddock because the gelding has just too many stallion like behaviors and is too rough with the little mare, still she is quite attached to him.

Really, it was easier for her to just spend the day completely separate from him. 

I've really exhausted all possibilities and combinations, so it's a matter of helping them adjust to the change. This is the part of horse care that stresses me, I can help them adjust, but they're still having to adjust.

No comments: